Wednesday, January 30, 2013

At the Feet of the Rockies

My piece about travelling through the Canadian Rockies has appeared in Escape as "Wilds of the Canadian Rockies" and is available for free here.

The story is built around two meetings I had with people who've lived in the area for a long time, Lake Louise guide and photographer Mike Vincent - who took me up to Sentinel Pass - and Banff artist Michael Cameron, whom I met through the Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies. I focussed on these conversations in the main because I found it difficult to describe the landscape without a human reference point - the Rockies are, in a sense, too big to understand in their own terms. In which case, concentrate on those who've spent a lifetime finding other ways of seeing them.

The result is a travel piece that acknowledges the limitations of language when faced with such a sight and experience, and makes that impossibility part of the appeal of travelling in the area.