Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Audiobook of Running with Pirates

The audiobook version of my new book, Running with Pirates, will be published by Ulverscroft on 1 October 2024.

I have done the narration of the audiobook myself, the second time I've recorded one of my works, the other when I read my sections of a book I co-authored with Richard Fidler, Saga Land, in 2017.

I tend to read back to myself while I write, as I find this helps in crafting the rhythm and pace of sentences, and in checking for sense and clarity, as well as for grammatical errors. But to record an entire story in a series of sittings is quite a different experience: it seems like a new composition is being created, not entirely performative, nor solely textual. 

In the case of Running with Pirates, which has two narrative strands, I wanted to read each strand in a way that reflected their distinct tones: a fable-like tale from thirty years ago that is being punctuated by a contemporary account that is more like a travelogue, written in the present tense and responsive whatever is happening in the moment. 

The audiobook can be purchased through online retailers, such as Amazon here.